Sunday, July 17, 2011

ORGANIZING SCRAP MATERIAL



Yesterday, I got a tub full of scraps together and piled them into this tub.  Surrounding the tub are plastic covers from purchases of sheets and other items.  Inside of each of those bags are an assortment of scraps cut into specific sized squares.  (  1 1/2 x 1 1/2, 2 x 2,
2 1/2 x 2 1/2,  3 x 3,  3 1/2 x 3 1/2 ,  4 x 4 and 5 x 5 ).

So far this year...I have managed to cut up scraps from two tubs.  It is a long tedious process that takes its toll on the desire to do any kind of fabric work.  But, once you see the bottom of the tote/tub; it clearly becomes worthwhile. 

Why am I tackling this process?  There are several reasons.  The first is because I am so incredibly tired of looking at all of that beautiful fabric in total chaos hanging off of shelves.  The second is the amount of fabric that has been shoved into totes/tubs until I go rummaging to find the right material.  Which leads to a third reason....once I locate that perfect material, very often I discover that it is only a small piece that you can only get one or two squares out of.  The reasons just continue, but you get the picture.

I have not set any time limits on myself.  But knowing that eventually we will be moving back to Oregon.  I want to have it completed before that time, so that when it comes to moving and mainly setting up my sewing area in the new home; I will not be faced with what I am facing now. 

Eventually, I would like to purchase a dresser or filing cabinet...who knows... for storing each set of squares in their own area.  But until then, the plastic bags and totes will have to do.  Although, I do keep getting these images of making some sort of storage bags.  Yet, the image is not clear and I am not sure it would work, so I shall let that creation rest until it really becomes clear or I see something similiar online. 

No comments:

Post a Comment